Science to Grow On™ for grades K-3
Grow your love for Science!
Spring Semester 2019
January 12–May 4, 2019
In Science to Grow On™, children make discoveries by questioning, experiencing, and investigating. Explora educators engage children and their adults in age-appropriate activities that incorporate science, art, and fun! Each session focuses on a different theme. Activities change each semester. Following the program, enjoy a snack.
Explora members $140 per child per semester
Non-members $160 per child per semester
SESSIONS MEETS EVERY OTHER WEEK.
Register now for Spring Semester 2019
- Online: Select a session day and time to register online
2. Mail: Download, print, and mail registration form:
3. Call Reservations at 505-224-8341.
Spring 2019 Class Schedule
January 12–May 4, 2019
Saturday, January 12
Have you always thought the triangle was just the shape between the circle and the square? Discover different kinds of triangles and their importance. Use triangles to build three dimensional objects.
Possibilities of Paper
Saturday, January 26
Make it, fold it, sculpt it, cut it, and recycle it! Test the strength of fibers and conduct other experiments using a variety of papers.
Saturday, February 9
Use microscopes to examine insects closely and investigate bug basics. Then, create your own mechanical jittery bugs to take home.
Saturday, February 23
Have you noticed that strange thing called “adhesion” that makes your fingers sticky after you eat candy? Discover what kinds of materials will make paper, plastic, fabric, and wood “stick together” and which ones will not.
Be a Mad Hatter
Saturday, March 9
Many people wear hats, but have you ever thought about why? Test fabrics to determine which are the most water repellent. Explore how hats’ forms are related to their functions, and make an original hat to wear home.
Propensity of Density
Saturday, March 23
Do all liquids mix together? Examine the qualities of a variety of liquids, like salt water, tap water, and lots more. Use test tubes to explore floating and sinking by layering colored liquids.
Dirt, Dig it
Saturday, April 6
What is dirt? Who needs it? Dig in the dirt to discover who and what is in it. Then, make a newspaper pot in which to grow your own plant.
Meddle with Metal
Saturday, April 20
Are you wired by material science? Do all metals deserve a medal? Explore conduction and magnetism using different types of metal. Get ready to hammer, stretch, and heat!
Saturday, May 4
Pipe and channel water from one place to another. See if you can control the flow, and get water to flow uphill!
Explora’s Clubs & Programs
Explora educators develop activities with children’s developmental levels in mind. Your children will have the opportunity to learn from, and work with older and younger peers and make new friends.
- You can register online, by phone, or download and mail/fax the completed registration form.
- Please have the following available when you register: emergency contact name and phone numbers; name of alternate adults who can pick up the child; child’s medications, dosages, and physician’s name; child’s insurance information, as well as any allergy or special needs information for your child.
Call: 505-224-8341. Our reservations office is open Monday-Friday, 9am-5pm. Para español, llame al 505-224-8323, de lunes a viernes, 9am–5pm.
Mail: Explora Reservations 1701 Mountain Rd. NW Albuquerque, NM 87104
- If a cancelation is received at least 5 business days before the first class, a refund will be issued for the amount minus a 15% administration fee.
- Cancelations received fewer than 5 business days before the first class will not be refunded.
- Full fees will be refunded if Explora cancels a program.
Explora is a 501(c)(3) non-profit, and all purchases at our store are always tax-free. Proceeds from your purchases at Ideas, the store at Explora, help fund our programs and exhibits.